Premature ejaculation (PE) is a frequent male sexual complaint.This occurrence does not automatically imply the existence of a male sexual disorder. The current DSM definition of PE has a low positive predictive value with a high associated risk for false-positive diagnoses of PE. A new classification in four well-defined PE syndromes has recently been proposed for the pending DSM-V. According to this new classification there are different pathophysiologies and treatments of PE, dependent on the underlying PE syndrome. Some types are particularly neurobiologically or medically determined and need drug treatment; other types, which are mainly psychologically determined, need psychotherapy or both drug treatment and psychotherapy. A meta-analysis of all selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and clomipramine studies, which were performed according to current standards of evidence-based medicine, demonstrated a similar efficacy for the daily treatment with the serotonergic antidepressants paroxetine hemihydrate, clomipramine, sertraline, and fluoxetine, with paroxetine hemihydrate exerting the strongest effect on ejaculation. On-demand treatment with SSRIs generally exerts much less ejaculation delay than daily SSRI treatment. Other on-demand treatment options are the topical use of anesthetics, tramadol, and phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors. Caution is needed with tramadol with regard to its potential addictive properties. There is insufficient evidence for the ejaculation delaying effects of phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors and intracavernous injection of vasoactive drugs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Urologic Clinics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th edition, Text Revision. DSM-IV-TR.American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC2000
- The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders: diagnostic criteria for research.World Health Organization, Geneva (IL)1993
- Changing paradigms from an historical DSM-III and DSM-IV view towards an evidence based definition of premature ejaculation. Part I: validity of DSM-IV-TR.J Sex Med. 2006; 3: 682-692
- Premature ejaculation: definition and drug treatment.Drugs. 2007; 67: 547-568
- Premature ejaculation: an observational study of men and their partners.J Sex Med. 2005; 2: 358-367
- Changing paradigms from an historical DSM-III and DSM-IV view towards an evidence based definition of premature ejaculation. Part II: proposals for DSM-V and ICD-11.J Sex Med. 2006; 3: 693-705
- The need for a revival of psychoanalytic investigations into premature ejaculation.Journal Men's Health & Gender. 2006; 3: 390-396
- Premature ejaculation: a review of 1130 cases.J Urol. 1943; 50: 374-379
- Premature ejaculation: clinical subgroups and etiology.J Sex Marital Ther. 1989; 15: 130-134
- Prevalence of chronic prostatitis in men with premature ejaculation.Urology. 2001; 58: 198-202
Carani C, Isidori AM, Granata A, et al. Multicenter study on the prevalence of sexual symptoms in male hypo- and hyperthyroid patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, in press.
- Psychological treatment strategies for rapid ejaculation: rationale, practical aspects, and outcome.World J Urol. 2005; 23: 89-92
- Cognitive and partner-related factors in rapid ejaculation: differences between dysfunctional and functional men.World J Urol. 2005; 23: 93-101
- Evaluation and treatment of premature ejaculation: a critical review.Int J Psychiatry Med. 1992; 22: 77-97
- The neurobiological approach to premature ejaculation.J Urol. 2002; 168: 2359-2367
- Relevance of methodological design for the interpretation of efficacy of drug treatment of premature ejaculation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Impot Res. 2004; 16: 369-381
- Clomipramine in the treatment of premature ejaculation.J Int Med Res. 1973; 1: 432-434
- Clomipramine in the treatment of premature ejaculation.J Sex Res. 1988; 24: 213-215
- Paroxetine treatment of premature ejaculation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study.Am J Psychiatry. 1994; 151: 1377-1379
- Treatment of premature ejaculation with paroxetine hydrochloride.Int J Impot Res. 1999; 11: 241-245
- Oxytocin involvement in SSRI-induced delayed ejaculation: a review of animal studies.J Sex Med. 2007; 4: 14-28
- Priapism in a patient taking sertraline.J Clin Psychiatry. 1998; 59: 538
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome; proposed diagnostic criteria.J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2000; 25: 255-261
- The Bioequivalence and therapeutic efficacy of generic versus brand-name psychoactive drugs.Clin Ther. 2003; 25: 1578-1592
- Adverse effects after switching to a different generic form of paroxetine: paroxetine mesylate instead of paroxetine HCL hemihydrate.Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2002; 146 ([in dutch]): 811-812
- Alpha-1 blockade pharmacotherapy in primitive psychogenic premature ejaculation resistant to psychotherapy.Eur Urol. 1995; 28: 126-130
- Terazosin in the treatment of premature ejaculation: a short-term follow-up.Int Urol Nephrol. 2005; 37: 773-777
- Comparison of tamsulosin with alfuzosin in the treatment of patients with lower urinary tract symptoms suggestive of bladder outlet obstruction (symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia).Br J Urol. 1997; 80: 597-605
- Majority of men with lifelong premature ejaculation prefer daily drug treatment: an observational study in a consecutive group of Dutch men.J Sex Med. 2007; 4: 1028-1037
- Efficacy of prilocaine-lidocaine cream in the treatment of premature ejaculation.J Urol. 1995; 154: 1360-1361
- Clomipramine vs placebo in the treament of premature ejaculation: a pilot study.J Sex Marital Ther. 1993; 19: 198-200
- Clomipramine and sexual function in men with premature ejaculation and controls.J Urol. 1996; 156: 1310-1315
- On-demand treatment of premature ejaculation with clomipramine and paroxetine: a randomized, double-blind fixed-dose study with stopwatch assessment.Eur Urol. 2004; 46: 510-516
- Efficacy and tolerability of dapoxetine in treatment of premature ejaculation: an integrated analysis of two double-blind, randomised controlled trials.Lancet. 2006; 368: 929-937
- Dapoxetine treatment of premature ejaculation.Lancet. 2006; 368 ([letter]): 1869-1870
- Safety and efficacy of tramadol in the treatment of premature ejaculation.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006; 26: 27-31
- Efficacy of type-5 phophodiesterase inhibitors in the drug treatment of premature ejaculation: a systematic review.BJU Int. 2006; 98: 259-272
- Intracavernous medication for treatment of premature ejaculation.Urology. 1990; 35: 301-303
© 2007 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.